Leighton House Retirement Home Ltd. Rochdale. Tel:01706 352075
© Leighton House Retirement Home Ltd 2017

Fees and funding


Understanding the process of paying for care can be daunting. The information below aims to help answer your questions, but please call if you have any queries or need clarification. We would also encourage you to seek further specialist financial advice to fully understand your options available. Some useful and independent links are below right.


There are essentially 2 types of funding; ‘Self funding’ or funding by social services (the local council). Levels of savings and ability to pay fees will dictate what kind of funding is required. When applying for Social Services funding you will be required to complete a Personal Financial Statement in support of the application. The Statement requires photocopy evidence of all income and savings and a schedule of relevant expenditures. The application form is available from your social worker, who will advise you on how to complete it. There is a threshold level of savings (currently £23,250). If you have this level of savings or more then assistance will not be available and you will have to pay your own fees. This is called ‘Self funding’. If you do not have savings of over the threshold level but own your own home then Social Services will fund you until the property is sold. Clearly if this realises equity in excess of the threshold then you will become self-funding. The agreement for interim funding will be under a legal contact between you and relevant Social Services. If the cost of the care home is more than the Social Services funding, then the difference between them must be paid by a relative, friend or charity. This is known as a ‘Third Party Top-Up payment’. If, as a privately funded resident, the threshold level is reached and the funding is switched to social services, a top up to the agreed amount will be required. Over the years we have dealt with various authorities on different forms of funding and have become quite an expert. We would be happy to assist you with your understanding of this complex process. When the time is right, Maggie and her team will co-ordinate all the arrangements and necessary paperwork to enable a stress free move into your new home.

Personal Expenses / Pocket Money

All clients or Residents will need additional spending money to cover items not covered by Leighton House. These include things like: hairdressing, trips out, newspapers and magazines etc. One of the best ways to do this is to provide the additional spending money directly to the home so that they can pay for these items on their behalf. The home will keep a record of spending for you.


Can I get get financial assistance? If you require financial assistance, your local authority will decide what level of care you require and look at your income and savings to determine whether you will need to make a contribution towards the cost. This will vary slightly according to where you live in the UK. Are there any other benefits I can claim? Yes, you might be eligible for Attendance Allowance/Disabled Living Allowance (AA/DLA). These are both tax-free, non means-tested weekly benefits. If you’re paying for your own care, you’re likely to be eligible. If you’re receiving funding from the local authority towards your care home costs, this might not be paid as it is effectively included in that funding. You might also qualify for Pension Credit. It’s mean-tested, and designed to ensure a minimum guaranteed income for those with limited savings or additional private income. Contact your local social services department for further information on how to claim. If I’m receiving financial assistance, do I still get to choose my care home? Yes. The home you choose must be suitable for your needs and registered with the registration authority. What happens if my savings run out? When your savings fall below the threshold limits set out by the government, you are likely to be able to qualify for financial assistance. You should contact your local social service department when your savings are approaching this limit, so they’ll know when they need to help.   My partner needs care, but I don’t. How does this affect me? Don’t worry, only the person who is going into the care home should be means tested. The property you are still living in will be ignored and your savings treated differently. Seek further advice from your social worker or benefits office.
Registered with Care Quality Commission and Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council

Links to more information

Paying for Residential Care - Age UK Who Pays for What? - Carehome co uk Local authority funding - M.A Service Self-funding a care Home - Which? Funding Care - NHS Care Funding Advice - Saga

Leighton House Fees

Current fees (September 2021) are as follows: Privately Funded Residents Standard single room (without en-suite): £87.87 per day £615.09 per week £2,665.39 per calendar Month Standard single room (with en-suite): £91.44 per day £640.08 per week £2,773.68 per calendar Month Large single room with en-suite: £95.57 per day £668.99 per week £2,898.96 per calendar Month Larger single room (without en-suite) £91.80 per day £642.60 per week £2,784.60 per calendar Month Rochdale MBC funded Residents Clients that are funded by the Local Authority will have their care needs evaluated prior to admission and will be funded accordingly. We also ask for a top up fee of £20 a week to help cover the underfunding.